Job no: 561645
Contract type: Fixed-Term Appointment
Duty Station: Bamyan
Deadline: 17. May. 2023
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
Purpose for the job: Under the close supervision and guidance of the Head of the Outpost in Bamyan the program assistant supports the head of the outpost and program staff by providing a range of routine & basic procedural, administrative, and operational support in developing, implementing, executing and monitoring the program, ensuring timely and effective delivery that is consistent with UNICEF rules and regulations.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- Facilitating the processing of contracts for consultants, vendors, and external partners that support the office in program delivery. This includes preparing and filing documents, completing necessary forms and templates, uploading TORs in VISION, and making necessary logistical arrangements. Keeps vendor lists, partners, and consultant rosters up-to-date.
- Collecting invoices and filing documents for approval and thereafter processing in VISION and Mycase.
- Preparing and maintaining records, documents, and control plans for the monitoring of project/program implementation and financial expenditures.
- Supporting the management of administrative supplies and office equipment.
- Maintaining office calendar and arranging meetings. Taking minutes of meetings and keeping the correspondence of the team well organized.
- Providing travel assistance to staff members in the section for travel arrangements and entitlements based on the organization’s rules and policies. Liaising with relevant travel focal points to ensure that the organization obtains the best service and price for all travel.
- Maintaining and updating a system that monitors the absence of staff.
- Preparing and maintaining records pertaining to program planning and development for his/her respective section.
- Carrying out transactions in VISION ensuring program results, activities and program coding are as per annual work plans (AWPs), and making amendments and alterations as per section revisions when necessary.
- Supporting capacity development activities, meetings, and conferences by making the logistical arrangements, through engaging with facilitators, caterers, and hosts; arranging times through liaising with participants over availability; liaising with budget focal points and section over costs and needs; and preparing background materials for participants.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Completion of secondary education, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the work of the organization.
- A minimum of 4 years of progressively responsible administrative or clerical work experience is required.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergencies is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English and Dari and knowledge of Pashtu desired.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability, and Sustainability (CRITAS).
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
UNICEF is here to serve the world’s most disadvantaged children and our global workforce must reflect the diversity of those children. The UNICEF family is committed to including everyone, irrespective of their race/ethnicity, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, socio-economic background, or any other personal characteristic.
UNICEF offers reasonable accommodation for consultants/individual contractors with disabilities. This may include, for example, accessible software, travel assistance for missions, or personal attendants. We encourage you to disclose your disability during your application in case you need a reasonable accommodation during the selection process and afterward in your assignment.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
The selected candidate is solely responsible to ensure that the visa (applicable) and health insurance required to perform the duties of the contract are valid for the entire period of the contract. Selected candidates are subject to confirmation of fully-vaccinated status against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) with a World Health Organization (WHO)-endorsed vaccine, which must be met prior to taking up the assignment. It does not apply to consultants who will work remotely and are not expected to work on or visit UNICEF premises, program delivery locations, or directly interact with communities UNICEF works with, nor to travel to perform functions for UNICEF for the duration of their consultancy contracts.
Advertised: 03 May 2023 Afghanistan Standard Time
Deadline: 17 May 2023 Afghanistan Standard Time